[The Forlorn Grammarian]
The unfocused byproduct of
www.simulacri.com's incisive brilliance

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Coffee-Related Machinery Has Been Unkind To Me



The latest in my barrage of posts totally unrelated to film was about my coffee grinder, and how it is shit. Though there is obviously a little bit of hyperbole in that instruction manual, what with all the references to the machine being sentient, I didn't exaggerate that the ridiculous thing broke after two uses. I know how to use burr grinders; I've had two before, both of which lasted years. This one lasted a day.

Immediately before this I'd had an embarrassingly titled Cuisinart Grind Central something or other, which was just a regular old blade grinder with a nifty lid that made it quiet. Other than the fact that a lid goes over the top, this was in every way an ordinary grinder with no mysterious and easily disrupted features. It lasted about three weeks before ceasing to work entirely for no apparent reason. I exchanged it for another one, and exactly the same thing happened. At which time I moved onto my current burr grinder, and enjoyed its company for 24 hours.

So I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm not cramming these thngs to bursting with coffee beans, tamping them down with a heavy boot and frantically mashing the buttons. I'm not filling them with gravel to see what happens. I'm not even really making much coffee these days. Which is good, because it means I've been buying tea, so now I have that to drink while two pounds of coffee beans take up space in my cupboard, rendered temporarily worthless unless I intend to eat them by the handful.

No comments: